Shop now: www.AFM-subscription.com
Something like shrimp and grits but with more vegetables and no shrimp – from our demo at the market last night using nothing but ingredients from the market (except spices and President butter).
Thank you to @thewendygirldesigns for the cool handmade grits sign. Find her at the market, too!
– [ ] Three medium @farmerkenofficial tomatoes or a basket of Sow a Heart Regenerative Farm] cherry tomatoes, cut into 1/2” pieces
– [ ] Four @underwoodfamilyfarms scallions, sliced, including the white part
– [ ] Two cloves of Sow a Heart Regenerative Farm] garlic, minced
– [ ] Six large kale leaves cut into bite-size pieces
– [ ] Three turnips – leaves and roots all cut into bite-size pieces
– [ ] Two cups of broccoli – stems and heads, cut into 1” pieces
– [ ] 2 tablespoons oil of butter
– [ ] 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
– [ ] 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
– [ ] Salt and pepper to taste
– [ ] Optional: 1/2 lb cooked protein of your choice. I added @zonzonorganic merguez sausage… SO good!
First, sauté onions, garlic, tomatoes and turnip bottoms on high heat. We want the turnips to caramelize, slightly. Cook for about ten minutes. Add kale. Cook for another five minutes. Add turnip leaves. Add spices. Add optional cooked protein. I forgot to add it on everyone else’s, but I’d recommend topping with @kingandkingranch Hass avocados, ‘cause why not more good fat?
I used ingredients that were available at the farmers market this time of year. Other things you might consider adding include red and yellow bell peppers, corn, and mushrooms, OR whatever you want to add!
– [ ] Cook grits as usual. I cooked about 1 cup of dry grits with about 2 tablespoons of high fat butter. For clarity: no sugar in grits!!! Ever!!!